The whole family will love these curried chicken meatballs, served with creamy coconut noodles.
The ingredient of Thai-curried chicken meatballs
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 onion, cut into thin wedges
- 2 tbsp store-bought red curry paste
- 270ml can light coconut milk
- 250ml (1 cup) Massel chicken style liquid stock
- 4 kaffir lime leaves
- 1 tbsp grated palm sugar or caster sugar
- 2 tsp fish sauce
- 150g green beans, sliced
- Juice of 1 lime
- Fresh hokkien or rice noodles, warmed, to serve
- Fresh coriander sprigs, to serve
- Sliced fresh red chilli, to serve
- 500g chicken mince
- 4cm knob of ginger, peeled, finely grated
- 1 bunch fresh coriander, stems finely chopped, leaves reserved, to serve
- Soy sauce, for rolling
- 45g (3/4 cup) flaked coconut
- 80g (1/2 cup) roasted peanuts, coarsely chopped
- 55g (1/4 cup) brown sugar or grated palm sugar
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 (about 900g) green cabbage, cut into thin ribbons
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
The instruction how to make Thai-curried chicken meatballs
- To make meatballs, place mince, ginger and 2 tbs of the chopped coriander stems in a bowl. Use your hands to mix until well combined. Wet your hands with soy sauce and roll tablespoonfuls of mixture into balls. Transfer to a plate. Cover. Place in fridge until required.
- Heat 1 tbs coconut oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Cook the meatballs, in batches, for 2-3 minutes, until golden. Transfer to a plate. Heat the remaining oil and add the onion. Cook, tossing, for 3-4 minutes or until softened slightly. Add curry paste and cook, stirring, for 1 minute or until aromatic. Add coconut milk and bring to the boil. Boil for 5 minutes, or until the oil separates. Now add stock, lime leaves, sugar and fish sauce. Return to the boil.
- Add the meatballs and simmer rapidly for 10 minutes or until the sauce starts to thicken slightly. Add beans and cook for 3 minutes, or until meatballs are cooked through. Stir in the lime juice, to taste.
- Meanwhile, make coconut cabbage noodles. Cook the coconut, peanuts, sugar and salt in a large frying pan for 5 minutes or until sugar dissolves and coconut is toasted. Once you see the sugar melting, stir constantly as it will burn quickly. Transfer to a bowl. Fry the cabbage in coconut oil until wilted, but still bitey. Pile it up in a serving bowl. Break up the coconut granola and sprinkle on top.
- Divide the noodles among serving bowls. Top with the meatballs, sauce, coriander leaves and sliced chilli. Serve with the coconut cabbage noodles on top or on the side.
Nutritions of Thai-curried chicken meatballscalories: